Classic American Scone Recipes

I became obsessed with scones when I visited London as a teenager. Nothing screams AFTERNOON TEA more to me than some raisin scones with clotted cream, fruit jam, and a pot of strong-brewed Tetley tea.



Unfortunately... being American, once I leave Europe I get NO CLOTTED CREAM ðŸ˜­ðŸ˜­ðŸ˜­. So, leaving behind the clotted cream AND my Tetley tea, I came back to my little island in the Caribbean and researched scones.

First of all: What is a scone? I have always described them as a cross between a cookie and bread. But in reality, it is a little more complex than that. In the end, I discovered there are two basic styles of scones: American & British.

American scones are high in fat, usually have mix-ins, and may be glazed. This creates a shorter, more flaky dessert that is cut into triangles and typically served plain with your choice of beverage.

British scones are lower in fat and usually only contain currants or raisins. The end result is more cake-textured and dense, with a higher lift. They are usually shaped into rounds and served with butter, clotted cream, jam, and your choice of beverage.

Anyway... after a few failed attempts, I could not master the technique or flavor I'd discovered in London, so I moved on to the American version with much success!

I have the same recipe/formula that I use for every flavor I come up with, and I recently modified my recipe to be completely GLUTEN-FREE.... can you imagine?? A GF Scone??!

Well, they were delicious. No one in my family or extended family & friends could tell they were gluten free.

Give these recipes a try... you will not be disappointed.


Comments

Popular Posts